Frequently Asked Questions

The first step to flight training is contacting AirOne to let us know you are interested! We will discuss goals, flight history, financial options, and help you get started as soon as possible. You must be at least 16 years old to hold a Student Pilot Certificate (17 years old to hold a Private Pilot Certificate).

Next, you will take a flight physical with an Aviation Medical Examiner. Once you pass, he or she will issue your Medical Certificate and Student Pilot Certificate, both on the same card.

We will get your medical, pilot certificate, and other information on file, set you up with a Certified Flight instructor, and start your flight training!

*International students and non-US citizens have additional flight training application requirements. More information about the Alien Student Flight Program can be found on the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) website here.

Many things! Just to name a few things you can do with your Private Pilot Certificate, you can:

-Travel for business
-Oversee your out-of-town offices personally
-Meet with out-of-town customers
-Impress your colleagues by “flying in” to see them

-Travel for leisure
-Visit friends and family
-Take someone out to lunch at a far-away destination

-Take the family up for a tour
-Visit any of America’s 5300 airports nationwide

-Build a career
-Jump on board the expanding opportunities as a professional pilot
-Gain easy access to any job in the aviation industry
-Add experience at your current aviation-related job

Flight training time depends on how frequently you fly, study habits, weather conditions during your training (we cannot fly in bad weather!), and individual aptitude. AirOne will tailor a training timeline specific to your needs. We recommend you take two to three flight lessons per week: however, anywhere between three flights a day and one flight per week is acceptable. This can give you a timeline of anywhere between three weeks to one year to receive your Certificate. We have had students complete the Private Pilot Course in as little as 16 days!

Flight training involves more than just jumping in an airplane. A certain level of commitment is needed, and you will spend time in the airplane, in the classroom, and at home studying in order to attain your Pilot Certificate.  

Learning to fly at AirOne Flight Academy involves a minimum 40 hours of flight training (FAA regulation) with at least 20 of those hours being dual flight time with your instructor. You will start by learning the basic flight maneuvers, takeoffs and landings, radio communications, airport operations, and more. Once you are proficient, your instructor will “solo” you, sending you to fly by yourself in the airport traffic pattern. After soloing, you will learn aerial navigation, basic meteorology, and cross country operations. Then you will take “cross country” trips to other airports 50 miles or more away from home. After a series of cross-countries, you will focus on refining your skills as a pilot and practicing for the practical (flying) portion of the FAA checkride.

During your flight training, you will be concurrently enrolled in a ground school class that meets three times a week, or you will receive individual ground school sessions from your instructor. These classes will prepare you for the FAA Private Pilot Written Exam and oral portion of your FAA checkride.

When you take your checkride, an FAA Designated Examiner will review your written exam results and test you over both your knowledge and flying skills. Once you pass the checkride, he or she will issue you a brand new Private Pilot Certificate, and you are well on your way to happy flying!

Before you fly, an authorized Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) will help you pass a short flight physical and receive your Medical Certificate (and/or Student Pilot Certificate). The exam usually costs between $50 and $100. Visit our list of AMEs for more information on finding an examiner.

Aviation medical exams are simple visual, aural, and general health assessments to help ensure that you are fit to fly. If you have any questions regarding color blindness, vision, medications, mental history, or other issues, you should contact your AME about them before your medical examination.

There are three classes of Medical Certificates: first, second, and third— and each one has a different level of intensity. You will need at least a third class medical to fly as a student or private pilot. It will last for five years (60 calendar months) if you are under 40 or two years (24 calendar months) if you are 40 or older. For those students seeking a professional pilot career, AirOne suggests obtaining a first class medical to ensure physical aptitude for your future profession (after the first 6 or 12 months, depending on age, the 1st class medical will “downgrade” to a second, then a third class medical, and be valid for 24 or 60 calendar months after date of exam thereafter).

There are hidden costs associated with flight training that many schools fail to mention. Besides the hourly aircraft and instructor rates, you are also responsible for your flight medical ($50 to $100), headset and private pilot equipment ($400), and checkride fee ($350), just to name a few.

The Training Packages offer a simple, all-inclusive price for your flight training. One payment covers your flight time (up to the FAA minimums), instructor’s time, ground school, headset, equipment, exam fees, and more. This way, you know exactly how much your flight training will cost, and you can purchase it all at once at a discounted price. For more information, you may download the Training Package brochures on the Courses page.

Yes, AirOne works closely with Pilot Finance, Inc. who will be happy to help you. Stop by our office for a brochure or visit for more information.

The most important thing to note is that one does not need an aviation degree to fly professionally. Many airline and corporate pilots hold business, finance, public relations degrees, etc. from two- or four-year schools. Many of our students are currently enrolled in college while working on their pilot certificates and ratings.

To qualify for any number of professional pilot jobs, you will generally need at least a Commercial Pilot Certificate with Instrument and Multi-engine ratings. Generally, after completing the Private Pilot Course, students will move on to instrument training, learning to fly and navigate solely by reference to flight instruments (for flying in clouds and during low visibility under Instrument Flight Rules).

Next, students will trade their Private Certificate for a Commercial Pilot Certificate after completing detailed training in maneuvering, cross country flights, emergency situations, and more. Multi-engine training comes next, and students will train in a light twin-engine piston aircraft—like our A-55 Beech Baron—where they will study multi-engine aerodynamics, aircraft systems, and operations.

Aviation employers of all types are mainly concerned with experience, knowledge, and hours of flight time. In order to build flight time, most pilots choose to obtain their Certified Flight Instructor Certificate and teach new aspiring pilots. This allows them to build flight time and gain  experience while being paid for their services.

AirOne can provide all of this training, from Private to CFI. Even if your career choice involves higher certificates, such as Airline Transport Pilot, CFII or MEI, your career needs can be met here.

© 2017 AirOne Flight Academy. all rights reserved.